08 January 2020

Curious kids Or parents at test 😲 -Part 14 (Social acceptance norms & Measurements on Daru ki bottle)

Now my son had entered preliminary school. He was known to be very talkative and naughty kid. One day I received a call from his school. His teacher told me that he disturbed the class. He intentially gives attention seeking answers. I aksed her what was the matter. She narrated the following incident.

She was  a Maths teacher. She was teaching the class about units of measurement. While teaching she had asked the class if they had ever noticed the measurements like 1 kg, 500 grams or 1 litre written on certain packed items. My son had promptly replied, "Yes, on "Daru ki bottle". After this answer there was ruckus in the class. Kids started laughing, clapping and lot of time had lost in bringing the class under control. I assured the teacher that I would speak to my son.

I was also surprised by this answer. Of all things "Daru ki bottle" was a bit too much. All of us are teetotalers.  Even most of our acquaintances are likewise. I don't even remember going to any party with my kid where alcohol was served. I spoke to my husband. Even he seemed clueless. It appeared that we would have to speak to our son directly to know the secret. We had to be very careful. In the evening I asked him casually.

Me: These days whats up at school? What new topic are they teaching these days?

After couple of other topics he reached "Units of Measurement" I immediately caught the thread. And asked him where all he had seen measurements written?? He mentioned couple of items and then mentioned "Daru ki bottle"

Me: Daru ki bottle? Where have you seen "Daru ki bottle"? We don't consume it.

Son: Arre Mamma, yesterday I was coming home with Daddy from day care. On the road I stumbled upon Daru ki bottle. So when teacher asked where you had seen measurements before I remembered that bottle.

Me: Oh! It's ok. But how did you know that it was indeed a "Daru ki bottle"?

Son: Because of it's shape.

He traced the peculiar shape of liquor bottles in the air.

Me: How do you know that Daru ki bottle has this peculiar shape??

Son: Teachers!

Me: Teachers?? What do you mean by teachers?? Teacher told you it is liquor bottle??

Son: No Mamma, hoarding! It's the hoarding!!

Me: Will you please tell me what are you blabbering??

Son: There is that big hoarding on way to school, you remember?

Me: Yes, what of that?

Son: Mamma, that hoarding has big ad of Teacher's!!

Finally it dawned on me. The hoarding had big advertisement of famous liquor brand - Teacher's Highland Cream. 

This is how my son had deduced bottle he had stumbled upon was "Daru ki bottle". I was aghast.  After listening to this I had no heart of telling off my kid about the teacher's complaint. I just decided to let go off the incident. When he will grow he will automatically understand the difference between what is socially acceptable and what is not!! Till then the answer that the measurement is written on "Daru ki bottle" holds good for me. What about you??

My limited point in this incident is don't just get panicked by complaints from school. Nor scold the child without having meaningful dialogue. Have faith in your upbringing as well as have faith in your kid. Give him opportunity to explain himself. 

For reading other blogs please click on https://kinfolkclub.com or https://motherlab.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment